Monday, March 02, 2020

Japanl A long time dream that came into reality

it's been ages my dear blog... let's rekindle the love 

happened last Jan. 15 to 21, 2020 (yep, latest escapade)


She's not elusive this time... Thank you so much Mt. Fuji for showing your whole beauty to us
Dreams do come true, don't you agree?  I've been interested in Japan since the time I started watching a travel channel featuring its places, culture and modern inventions.  I have been a fan of their discipline,  creativity, organization and systematic ways.  In the whole ASIA, it can be said that they are the most advanced country.

It took almost 3 decades before this dream came to reality and I savored every moment of it.  Let's face it, Japan is not an affordable travel.  In addition, acquiring a visa is not easy as a breeze.  You need to prepare properly and save for it.

It's in my 2021 bucket list but my lucky stars have other greater plans for me.  When Cebu Pacific announces a promo and with allocated schedule, I made sure to be prepared when the time comes.  Lo and behold!  I was able to score a Manila to Narita RT tickets for Php3,600 per person.  It's a steal!  Never mind that it was 9 months in advance.  At least I have a lot of time preparing and saving for it.  I decided that I'll just maximize my stay in Tokyo alone.  I was so wrong to think that a week is enough to fully discover it.  For us, not so young anymore, we chose the relax mode of exploring this mixture of modern and old city.

We were not able to complete our proposed itinerary due to our laziness.  But still, we have a lot of fun!  It was just supposed to be me and hubby, but my bff (since elementary) joined us suddenly so it was triple the fun.
The Preparation:

Booking an airplane ticket is usually the first step but for others, they usually get a visa first to avoid spending on the plane tickets when the visa is denied.  For me, it was a smal
l risk to take since our plane tickets cost only Php7,200.  After this:
  • Hotel reservation - thru Agoda and with free cancellation; there is a lot of options.  You can choose accommodations in Ueno, Asakusa or Shinjuku. Asakusa offers cheaper accommodation though.  You will need this advanced booking for your visa application.
  • Visa application - you need an agency for this.  There is no direct visa application.  We applied thru Reli Travel & Tours in Dusit, Makati (3F).  Please call them at (632) 8893-9226 for any inquiry.  We got our visas after 3 working days after submitting all the requirements.  It is so very quick when you have the complete requirements:
    • Original Birth Certificate
    • Original Marriage Contract
    • Baptismal (for late registered like me)
    • Form 137 (elementary or high school for late registered)
    • Bank Certificate (cost is equivalent to your length of stay expenses)
    • Income Tax Return (any proof that you have the means to travel)
    • Certificate of Employment
    • Daily Schedule in Japan (you will be given a form by the agency; with accommodation address and contact details)
  • Transportation passes - book via Klook.  Get the 1, 2 or 3 day subway pass depending on your length of stay.  This is a must for an economical and convenient option. Getting the cards is very easy.  You can ask any staff in the airport and they will gladly help.  In fact, all of the Japanese are very helpful to tourist even if they can't speak English language well.
  • Wi-Fi device - avail via Klook also as it will cost only around Php400/day good for 10 terminals connection, power bank and charger.  You will get the device from the post office at the 2nd floor.  You won't even need a deposit.  You will also be given a separate envelope that will be used in returning the device on your last day.  Just drop it in the mail box.  After a day, you will receive an email confirming that the unit has been returned.  I don't know what will happen if you failed to return the device.  Maybe, you will be blacklisted.
  • Download all necessary apps - Hyperdia (very helpful in commuting), Google map, etc.  You won't get lost, just follow the directions and your common sense.
  • Research a lot for the places you wanted to explore, food to eat, accommodations, etc. It will save you a lot of time when you are somehow well-informed.  There are a lot of blogs about Japan so you will find it easy to make your own itinerary.
  • Ensure to have suitable winter clothes.  We learned that ours are not enough for the below 0 deg temperature.  The gloves I bought are even not helpful at all.  Good thing that there are warm packs available in any convenient store plus a lot of sale is happening in Tokyo when we visited so I was able to buy some winter stuff in affordable prices.
  • Don't forget to bring a nice camera to capture the unforgettable moments 😊😊

7D6N in Tokyo (a relax itinerary):

We stayed in Asakusa area since this hotel is the most affordable when I search in Agoda and it's very near the subway station.  Being an Agoda member is highly recommended for travelers like me.  You will be able to gain points for every booking which you can be converted to cash for your future bookings.  I was able to save at least Php10k due to this.

Anyways, we stayed in APA Hotel.  It's a chain of hotels within Japan.  I'll post another blog for this.

Shiela, hubby and bff
Day 1 (arrival and Soiji temple visit):

I'll be forever grateful to my childhood neighbor Sheila for picking us up at Narita airport.  With our big luggage, it will be difficult to commute.  His Japanese hubby is so kind.  Our service vehicle is awesome - an Audi. Travel time from Narita to Asakusa took almost 2 hours.  

a storage near the MRT station; just one of the conveniences here
After checking-in, we have a very late lunch (at 3PM) - a ramen.  Tasting an authentic ramen is one in our list; so that is ticked off already.

ordering ramen thru a machine

due to hunger, I was not able to get this while it's still untouched
We only have a few hours to check Sensoji Temple - one of the oldest temples in Tokyo.  We also checked the souvenir shops around and canvass on the prices.  They have good quality souvenirs.  I want to take home everything I saw.  So many food choices, too.



After dinner, hubby and I went to Don Quijote for some shopping.  My allowance for this trip was spent mostly in this store.  There are a lot of small stuff that attracted my eyes and wallet.  Overwhelming is really an under statement here.


heaven on earth (for shop-olics ^-^)

Day 2 - Shibuya


We started late since I slept late (the night before) due to late shopping.  Shibuya is also a shopper's paradise.  Almost all brands are here and it's sale everywhere you turn.  Self-discipline is really a must!

After hours of shopping (in Muji alone), My friend and I enjoyed the soft ice cream in Muji Cafe. Now I understand why everyone is craving about this soft ice cream.  The milky taste is just unforgettable.

you must not let this soft ice cream pass
Day 3 - Shinjuku

Again, we started late due to late night shopping.  It was a very relaxed day.  We just visited the park and Government Metropolitan building to have a bird's eye view of Shinjuku.

almost leafless trees since it's winter

overlooking Shinjuku and beyond
Day 4 - Akihabara

It's raining so it's very cold.  We just visited one building in Akihabara and we didn't have enough time to explore every toy store.  Overwhelming is such an under statement to describe the toys, gadgets and other electronic devices here.  I was disoriented for sometime; on what I wanted and can afford.


Day 5 - Mt. Fuji trip

This is the highlight of our trip.  Mt. Fuji appeared to us its shining glory.  My first time to see snow is unforgettable.
magnificent!
Day 6 - My bff returned home.  We accompanied her to the shuttle bus station in Asakusa Hotel. After that, hubby and I went back to Akihabara.  We explored at least 4 toy stores this time.  Money is only problem so we went back to the hotel with minimum purchase only. 

the airport shutte
Day 7 - return to Manila.  Again, my childhood neighbor picked us up from the hotel and took us to the airport  She even bought a lot of pasalubongs for me.  I'm really spoiled!!!

My heart is full of gratitude for this memorable experience.

till next time Japan!!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment