Monday, March 30, 2020

Japan 2020l Asakusa

Asakusa is the prefecture that has the old Japanese atmosphere.  It is used to be the entertainment district in Tokyo and the oldest geisha district. But now, it hosts to a cluster of domestic kitchenware stores.  I only found out about this when we were already there so looking for new kitchenwares was not included in our itinerary.

Tokyo Sky Tree
We stayed here since accommodations are cheaper in this part of Tokyo and not too far from the most tourist attractions.  I'm glad staying in this district though, as I prefer a quiet and not too busy place nowadays. Yeah, talk about tita moments!



rick saw ride
On our first day, after checking-in, we were guided by our gracious hosts to the famous Senso-ji temple. It's just a walking distance from our hotel.  Along the way, I noticed there are a lot of restaurants around with interesting architecture.

just one of the few modern buildings


But before the temple, it's hunting time for a ramen house since it's one of the purposes of our visit here in Japan. We were quite amazed that instead of a receptionist with menu, an ATM like counter greeted us.  This is where to order and pay your for your choice.  Good thing that there is a vacant space for us as it was jam packed as expected.

waiting for a vacant seat



The ramen is better compared to what we usually have here in our country.  However, one ramen for our entire stay here is already enough for me since I'm really not a fan of it.  I never finish one bowl of ramen whenever I eat one. ^-^

Senso-ji Temple

We came late in the afternoon so we didn't have enough time to roam around and only saw the back part and the famous Nakamise Street.  We didn't even know that there is a better view of it.  Talk about thorough research! Since we do not have enough time, we just check the souvenir stores and what should we bring home.





From here, the Tokyo Sky Tree is clearly visible.  It's hard to miss it while in the vicinity so I took a lot of pictures of it.


There are also some drug stores where some of the famous skin care and make-ups can be bought.  This part of Asakusa is really for the shoppers like me.  Lots of knick-knacks that will caught the eyes.

I was also amazed on how they prepare some of the delicacies.  They are so precise and focused.  We were able to taste the local delicacies for free.  They are so fond of pancakes, red beans and matcha.  They are just differently prepared but same ingredients.  Their food are well balanced though, that you won't be tired of eating them.







In the evening (when my friend was already hit by jetlag), I asked hubby to accompany me to Don Quijote store and have our first shopping.  Everyone who had traveled in Japan recommended this store.  It's a 24/7 store so shopping is very convenient.



I was overwhelmed that even though I have a ready list on my mind, I was still confused on what to really buy.  I wanted to take home everything.  But when you buy a lot of these tiny pieces, it will still add up to the baggage space and weight and lessen my pocket money. 

One day for Asakusa is very limited so we returned on our 6th day.  We spent half day discovering Senso-ji temple.  It was our first time to see a Mandarin orange tree.



I'm so amazed with girls wearing Kimono that I stalked some young girls and had a photo with them.  I really would love to try one but I find it too tiring to change clothes and walked in wooden slippers.  Maybe on my next visit.  It costs around 2,000 to 6,000 yen depending on the type of fabric and design.




Then for 100 yen, we tried our luck and we both got a very good prediction.  It's gonna be a great year for us! (claiming it of course!)














Another must here is the food tripping - from soft ice cream to pancakes.  They're are all delicious by the way but I love this Taiyaki the most (not because it's in a Hello Kitty shape). I can't even describe how good it was!  It's one of the reasons why I will revisit.  Another unforgettable is the Matcha soft ice cream.  We saw only one store dedicated for the green tea products.


for this I shall return!








Hubby and I also checked the old streets and found the old stores and restaurants interesting. There is one that has many people lining up and would love to try it too if we are not pressed for time. We returned to the hotel just in time to accompany our dearest friend to the airport shuttle bus since she is leaving a day ahead of us.
















couple doing pre-nup shoot


There are a lot of interesting stuff that need to be discovered in this old town.  I'll dedicate at least 3 days here when I return. ^-^















No comments:

Post a Comment