Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Bicol 2015 Series| Our Lady of Penafrancia Parish Church and Shrine

 
Our Lady of Penafrancia is the "Ina" of the Bicolanos.  Every third week of September, a feast is being celebrated in her honor.  Millions of people flock Naga for this celebration as she is believed to be miraculous and a lot of people have attested to her miracles.
 
Apparently, there are three churches within Naga City proper holding the images of Ina - Cathedral, Basilica and Shrine.  The original image is being kept in the Basilica since it's already brittle and weak.  The images seen in the altars of the said churches are already replicas. 
 
the newly painted church
This church is the first home of Ina before the Basilica was constructed.
 

 
 I just chanced upon this church while being lost in Naga town proper.  I decided to alight the jeepney and checked it.  Looking at its exteriors, it's so small and looks so ordinary but looking new because of the new painting.
 
Its history:
 
 
 I was totally astonished when I entered it.  It's so beautiful with its intricate ceiling paintings.  I literally felt goose bumps upon entering it.  I just stood there for a while marveling its interiors.
 
so small yet so intricately designed



Ina

I love the paintings and those borders

you know that these are old designs


even the windows are not left bare
After offering my prayer, I went outside again to light some candles for my loved ones.  I forgot to say the prayers before lighting the candles hehehe.
 

prayer before lighting the candle

mine are the white candles - for my family and loved ones
Fortunately, there's an upcoming mass so I was able to hear it.  I felt at peace while hearing the mass. 
 
This is the highlight of my trip.  If you are a Catholic, don't forget to visit this church when in Naga City.  If you are not, you can still visit it for its architectural features.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment