Thursday, September 26, 2013

Cebu Series: Whale Watching in Oslob

I need to cut my Macau-HK series posts to give way for a very recent travel (kahit minsan lang e updated ako hehe).
 
I always have a wanderlust.  As my hubby and mom would say, I can't be kept in a box.  I also have this thing of taking a break from reality. So, when my friend said that she will book us for a Cebu trip (for Oslob), without second thoughts, I said yes.  Then I realized that it's our wedding anniversary on that date.  Well, after katakot-takot na lambing and pakiusap, I'm here.  Love you tart!!!! 
 
Last Friday, Sept. 20, 2013, we went to Cebu to have a weekend escape.
 
weee... so close.... but i kept my distance
We arrived in Cebu in the evening.  We slept for about 3 hours in Tune Hotel (another post).  At 4:00AM we are in the South Bus Terminal.  We rode the Ceres bus bound for Liloan.  The bus leaves every 30 mins. but it is still better to leave early in the morning since travel from Cebu City to Oslob, Tanaw-an is around 3 hours and whale watching is till 1:00PM only. bus fare is Php155.00 per person (one way only).

aircon is great and seating is comfortable... slept most of the time (mukha akong bangag)

the long and winding road

still an hour after this signage
After three long hours traveling on a winding road, we have reached Oslob.  The whale watching area is still 20 mins. from the town proper.   The view is refreshing.  Upon seeing the sea strecth, I was immediately excited to see the whale sharks.
 
There is a strecth of resorts in the area.  You just have to choose where to stay.  In our case, we embarked infront of George's, so we just stayed here.  Entrance fee is Php100.00/head, including shower and storage for personal belongings.  The staff are so kind and they really look after our belongings.  We even left our belongings there when we went to Tumalog falls.
 
we embarked infront of this resort
 
so here we are
 
the cottage where you can just lie down
 
 
what the resort can offer.. you can even visit sumilon island
Entrance fee for the whale watching is Php500.00 (with snorkel set).  There is no breakdown of the cost.  You just have to pay this amount whether you have a snorkel set or not.  i suggest you bring your own snorkel as the one they are offering are not comfortable. 
 
You will have to pay additional Php500.00 if you will rent an underwater camera (ang mahal no?).  You can also dive for Php1,800.00 and rent some diving gears for some amount (a good tourism?).  All of these for 30 mins. viewing only (no extension).  Prior diving in, you will have to be oriented for 5 mins. for the "dos and don'ts".  I completely agree with this since it will ensure the protection of the sharks.  But I've seen some tourists who are really "pasaway". 
 
Another good thing is that there is an organization keeping an eye on this activity. 
 
the standard rate (no haggling allowed)

the boatmen in uniform... the habitat is just so near the beach resort

whale watching area

do's and don'ts


si ateng magaling mag orient


can you see the shark's fin?
 
And now for the main event - the whale watching.
 
The sea is not quite cooperative with its big waves and strong current (it's calmer during summer but with tons of tourists).  I was so afraid in going down so I wore the vest.  Thinking about the effort and money I spent, I need to get down and see these sharks.
 
Upon seeing them, all I can say is that I'm completely in awe.  I just stared at them and I'm so speechless.  I even forgot to take some videos of them.  There are four of them surrounding our boat.  The feeder is just near our boat so they just stayed in our area.  They so lovely and tame. 
 
With the strong current, it was so hard to have a good shot.  We have trusted our boatman to take our pictures but he's not that good so getting a good shot is really by chance.  One important tip is that you should bring at least 2 underwater cameras so you can also take some pictures and videos of your own.  With the limited time, you cannot get all the shots that you want with only one camera.
  

here it is... pictures can't show how huge it is


next time, i'll scuba dive to have better shots



wounded tail

ang dami nila

the feeder
The sharks are about 4-6 meters in length.  I heard that Sorsogon's whale shark is bigger but the advantage in Oslob is that they already made this their habitat.  Swimming with them is like being in a huge aquarium.

After 30 mins, we are back in the resort.  We just had our shower and breakfast, then we're off to Tumalog falls.

 
pa-ali aligid pa din sya.. hinahabol siguro kami

shower time

this is breakfast
With the huge viewing fee, I hope that they can protect the whale sharks well.  I saw one with a wounded tail.  It's a pity sight.

I'm happy that Oslob's tourism is booming with this attraction.  Actually Oslob has a lot to offer aside from these whale sharks.... in my next posts... ; )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment