Thursday, March 07, 2013

Laguna: Sta. Maria's Hidden 3 Falls



my kids enjoying the experience
When my kids and I went to my bestfriend - Jane's home in Laguna for a weekend getaway, I didn't have much expectations.  I only wanted to see her town, their nice home and have some rest and break from my usual weekend.  She has been telling me about the falls they have but I do not have much interest on it.  Actually, I imagined it as a small kind of falls and nothing spectacular about it.  But we have included it in our itinerary though I was planning to cancel it (sleepy mode attack).

Honestly, I under estimated this falls.  Let's begin with the adventure:

First, you have to go to Barrio Laurel (around 30 mins. drive from the town).  If you will commute, you can hire a tricycle at the town.  You will park your car near the mountain foot and be ready for the trek.  I must warn you that it's not an easy trek as I have thought it would be.

According to the poster, there is an entrance fee since this is becoming a tourist spot already and the government has done some improvements on the trail (cemented stairs that is).

the poster stating the fees, the clean river, the under construction picnic area and the donkey for goods


From the mountain foot, you can see that the river has still clean, clear and fresh water running.  Now, you have to cross this river to begin the adventure.

with mini falls


let the hardship begin...though shallow, still scarry due to the strong current

Then, it will be a long hike and walk, maybe around 30 minutes to reach if you are in a slow pace.

and the tagaktak na pawis starts...

Then you will cross a river again.  You have to jump or hop in crossing this river.  My kids cross this with so much ease (unlike us adults..hehehe).

me:  hawakan moko apol at baka madulas ako...

And you thought you are near it....well not yet....another climb

Don't worry, there is resting place in the middle of the trail.  You can rest for a while to get your breath and energy for a harder climb.

rest time with jane's employees


Then a risky suspended bridge to cross...


eto talaga ang buwis buhay...one slip and you'll surely die..hope they will repair this bridge..

Then a shorter bridge...





and then....the beautiful scenery....it's has a small swimming area.  Good thing, we have it all for ourselves since it's already 5PM. 



Ican't even submerge my whole body due to super cold water...

The water is soooo refreshingly COLD!  It would be better to dip here during the hot summer days.  The part where the falls are pouring is the deepest one (more than 7 feet I guess - my feet can't reach the bottom). 

I think this will be too crowded during the summer season since there is only a very small picnic area and the swimming area is good only for around 20 people.  However, if you are a hard core trill seeker, you can still climb above these falls.  There is also a swimming area there.  You have to be very careful with the slippery stones though.

After dipping in the refreshing waters, you will then realize that the hardest part of this adventure is not yet done as you have to go back again to hiking and crossing river with strong current.

If you don't want to experience all of these...you can just dip on the river at the entrance site.  The water in this river is coming from the falls above.  You will just miss the scenery though.

me and my girls


parang nakahiga lang sa kama

The "buwis buhay" is so worth it for the scenery that awaits everyone.  Will I go back again?  hmmm..let me think about it first....hahaha....

No comments:

Post a Comment