Monday, March 18, 2013

Eat, Trek and Swim in Nagsasa Cove

it's more beautiful at the top
I was fortunate to be invited to join  a department's outing last last weekend in Nagsasa Cove with side trips to Anawangin Cove and Capones Island.  Since the food expenses were subsidized, I only paid a few hundred bucks for this trip.  Besides, I have nothing to worry about this outing but how to enjoy.

We left Manila at 2:30AM and arrived in San Antionio, Zambales at 4:30AM.  It was an uncomfortable land travel but I didn't notice that since I'm sleeping most part of the trip (Nissan Urvan is not recommended for long trips with 16 people in it).  Food was bought from the market before going to the cove.

early morning in Pundaquit
We embarked from Pundaquit shore.  Going to Nagsasa cove took almost 2 hours by boat.  This long trip was never discussed in any blog site that I read.  The boat is small, too.  Good thing that the sea is quite calm during our journey.  Again, it is not a comfortable boat travel since the seats are just narrow and not much space to extend my feet.  It's water and mountains for 2 hours.

rock formations for the eyes
First impression of Nagsasa - rustic, secluded, serene, green, with gray sand (combination or lahar and snd), with clear and clean water and no mobile phone signal.  We are indeed out of reach from the rest of the world.


the clear water
hello nagsasa!
hello gray sand...
We camped at the right end part, beside a mountain that can easily be climbed.  I was amazed to find that there is a running water here coming from the mountain spring.  The locals just connected a hose for their water consumption.  Water is free!!!!  There is also a clean CR and shower room.  Don't you just love that?

aside from 100 pesos entrance fee...there is an additional payment for the cottages...


the clean CR
Our companions started preparing brunch and setting up tents and hammocks, while I'm busy taking photos and checking the beach.  Ako na ang prinsesa!  Too bad that my D90 is broken and can't accompany me in this trip.  Sayang, I don't have DSLR pictures from this trip.


they're setting our tent

my crocs enjoying the view...



After brunch, I found myself reading a book and sleeping in one of the cottages.  Bff Jane awaken me at 3:00PM to check the lagoon.  Integers ang bff dahil ang haba ng tulog ko.  Kainis!!!!
 
nagsasa or nagsaza????
 


It's super hot going to the lagoon.  There is a long bamboo bridge to reach another camping site (with lots of pine tress).  The lagoon looks better if there is water in it.  Well, blame it on the summer time.  I think December to February are the best months to go here.

cottages for rent..this is the crowded part of the cove
the dry lagoon
 

After the lagoon....it's swimming time.  I love how clear the water is.  However, there are no fishes or corals.  Amazingly, the water is not too salty unlike the previous beaches I've been, too.  Yes! I'm tasting the sea water in every beach I've been to.
 
near sleeping time...
 Next day was spent hiking the mountain.  You can appreciate nagsasa cove scenery more when you're at the top.  It's not so hard climbing this mountain.  We only made it halfway but the scenery is already stunning.  Here are some of our photos:

let's do this...
 
 

mas mahirap ang pababa

we were able to get down in one piece
There is a fishing boat that docked near our camping site so we were able to buy some fishes.  I'm just so sad that they catch sharks.  It broke my heart when he told us that he is selling this shark for 500 pesos only.  It only shows that the locals are not well educated on the endangered species and how important these sea creatures are. 

I have bought some fishes - Maya-maya, only P300.00 for three (around 3 kilos).  Jane bought a huge one for  only Php 900.00.  After purchasing the fishes, we realized we don't have a cooler for the fishes and we will still travel for about 4 hours.   Then she let her charm works.  We ended bringing home the fishes thoroughly cleaned and without buying a coole.
 

a small shark....walang awa si manong...the price of poverty
photo credit: jane
300 pesos only for these super fresh maya-maya
 All in all, I have enjoyed my camping experience here.  Thanks to our patient cooks.  With all the prepared food, it seems we are not camping at all.  If I return here, I wanted to see the falls and climb higher. Oh!  I should also bring a DSLR and capture the sunset.


the usual suspects....hope to be with you in your next outing...








 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment