Friday, February 24, 2012

Israel Trip: Jerusalem - The Garden of Gethsemane (Part 3)

the Church of the Nations or Church of Agony
Gethsemane means “oil press”.  At that time, this is where the oil was pressed from the olives harvested in the Mount of Olives.  It is located on the slope of Mount of Olives.
This is the garden where Jesus has prayed the night prior His crucifixion, with his disciples, after the Last Supper.  This is also where he was captured (and betrayed by Judas Iscariot for some silver coins).
the facade
The Church of the Nations now houses the Stone of Agony where Jesus has prayed.  The original church was believed to be built by the 12th century.  It was restored with the donations of some countries - Argentina, America, United Kingdom, etc.


Across the church is the view of the ancient city and Church of Mary Magdalene.  You can also view here the golden gate.

yes, we're in the mount of olives
Church of Mary Magdalene (with gold domes) and the walled ancient city
Eight ancient olive trees will welcome you.  One word to describe the garden – so serene and peaceful! 
the ancient olive trees..count if they are eight ; )

my first glimpse of the olive fruits
Aside from the ancient trees, the architecture and exteriors are another sight to behold.


another group of tourists..some look like pinays

an angel visited Jesus while He was praying

the window
At the entrance of the church, there is already a guide about its history.

historical details about Gethsemane
The entrance wall design is so intricate in design as well.
see the design that will welcome you
these are made of steel
the ceiling made of marble
the columns tell the era when it was made
The church is not well lit as it is really very dark inside.  This is maybe to discourage visitors in taking pictures.  Actually, I was scolded by a priest since I’m using flash (it’s hard to take pictures without it).  I felt so guilty since I should respect the solemnity of the place. 
the altar and the stone where He prayed
the altar depicting Jesus while He's praying
Some countries donated for the restoration of this church.  In remembrance and appreciation of their donations, a dome is designated for each country to attached its seal.  Don’t you just hate it when donors need to leave a mark?  Why can’t they just give anonymously?  It somehow ruined the antiquity and solemnity of the church.
the US seal

the original tiles of the church
The glass framed mosaic tiles were found when there was an excavation in this area.  These are the original tiles of the church ruins.

Seeing the stone where Jesus has said his last prayers, I’m quite overwhelmed.  I felt like crying.  It’s just so surreal!  I can only be grateful for being there and being able to see and touch everything for real.  For a while, I thought I'm just having a very beautiful dream.
a nun praying at the altar
This is one part of the tour that I loved most since only a few people are here during our tour (around 9:00AM).  I also had my moment of silence here and said my prayers.  It's like the Holy Spirit is descending upon me while I'm praying. I can feel that I was blessed by the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment