Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Israel Trip: Jerusalem - The Dead Sea or Sea of Salt

Our last stop for that day is Dead Sea.  We have requested this to be included in the tour package.  Thus, Jerusalem trip is only half day tour and the other half was spent in this super hot place.

the sea of salt

The Dead Sea is 377 m (1,237 ft) deep, the deepest hypersaline lake in the world. With 33.7% salinity, it is also one of the world's saltiest bodies of water.  It is 8.6 times saltier than the ocean.  This salinity makes for a harsh environment in which animals cannot flourish, hence its name.

Along the way, you will have a glimpse of Jordan, which is called paradise amidst the desert since it shows a sign of life.  There are also some abandoned buildings.  I really wonder how one can survive in this harsh desert and so far from the city.

there's Jordan with trees 
 
a glimpse of dead sea
an abandoned bldg.


After almost an hour, we reached the resort.  We took our lunch here (included in the tour package).  Lunch is a choice of fish, salads, pasta, beef and lamb.  I'm not a fan of lamb and beef, so I just chose the fish. In fairness, the viand tasted like our "sinigang".
this is my lunch, the only not too spicy food on the menu


there's the sea..
My impression about Dead Sea is a nice beach with cool water to refresh my tired body.  And I’m dead wrong (sorry I didn't research it on the net).  For one, the seashore is not sand but more of mud.  Since it was summer, the mighty sun has blessed us with intense heat.  I guess the temperature is around 40++ deg. Celsius. 
 
i swear..my skin burned from walking along this pathway
While going to the beach, I'm wondering how I can beat this heat. Unfortunately, I didn't bring any liquid.  Mineral water here costs around 8 NIS; that is around Php 100.00/500 ml. Mas mahal pag na-dehydrate at na hospital dito.

very enticing from afar 

The lowest bar on earth can also be found here.

the lowest bar in the whole world..that is -481  (below sea level)

i'm sure ice melts in seconds here

Dead Sea has been known to have healing power since the olden times.  This is due to its mineral content.  It is believed to cure different skin ailments, sinusitis, rheumatism, etc.  Now it's a must to take a dip and benefit from its healing powers.

girl having a sunburn as well
tourists having their spa treatment


I only submerged for 30 mins. since the water is quite hot and the sun rays are already hurting my skin.  The water is quite slimey on the skin (due to the mineral i gues).  You could feel your skin became softer.  It's really like being in a spa.  My skin is soft for a couple of weeks.  The acne on my back has been gone.  Maybe, if i'll bathe here a couple of times, my knees and hands will feel better.

Just like what they have informed us, you'll be able to float here.  If you can endure the heat,you can read a book or newspaper while floating.

mud pack anyone?
I think this is the better way of having the spa here.  Letting your skin sip the nutrients of the mud.  Too bad, I really can't endure the heat.


There is a shower room provided after soaking in mud. The water is so hot as well.  It's like bathing in a hot spring.  Everything I touch is hot.  So I left my officemates and settled myself in a more covered place and just people watched.


There is also a beauty shop here.  But I didn't bought my beauty regimen from the shop since there are stores that sell cheaper products in Tel Aviv.  A lot of tourists flocked this shop.

entrance fees
Entrance fee for this resort is 47 NIS; around Php 611.00 without the cottage. Just find your spot.  Of course, when you visit this place, it will be included in the tour package.  I don't think you would want to travel on your own here.


I wonder if it's more pleasurable to soak here in the winter.  Hmmm..next training should be in the winter.. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment