Friday, September 21, 2012

Mersmerized by the Phantom of the Opera

who is not familiar with this mask????
Watching a grand musical play has been in my bucket list since I was in college.  It was quite impossible for me then since (back then) only few foreign musical plays are being shown here in our beloved country and the tickets are really expensive.  I can't even buy a formal wear back then.

When I think of musical plays, I associated them with the rich since they are too grand for me.  Thank goodness that nowadays, some of the famous shows are now being brought here in the Philippines with not so cheap but affordable tickets.  Even so, I still was not able to watch Ms. Saigon, the Cats, Sound and Music, Mama Mia and the King and I.  The reason is pretty obvious - my priority is my family's needs, financially that is.

But big blessings really come unexpectedly.  At the last minute, I was called by my dearest friend Bi that one of her companions will not be able to watch the gala night (which happened to be on that same day).  She asked me if I would like to join them.  Of course I would!  This is a great opportunity for me to see a musical play and not just any musical play.  This is the "Phantom of the Opera"!  This is one of the longest running theater plays in the world.  So I hurriedly asked for an undertime and went home, take a bath and change clothes.  Within an hour, I'm in our meeting place.  (Di naman masyado halatang excited!  ; )

the play is symbolized by shattered mirror, rose, candles and the mask
Upon reaching the venue, I realized my first failure - I'm so inappropriately dressed for the event.  I think I'm the only gal in jeans.  Everyone I saw are in their best gowns, dresses and branded bags.  I feel so out of place.  I forgot it's a gala night.  Haist!  Good thing I'm in heels, blouse and with make-up; or else I will look like a PA.

Now for the show, from the start to conclusion, I'm just so speechless and in awe.  First timer kase hehehehehe.  I was so engrossed with it. I can't feel a CR break or any hunger.  I'm just so high with the play.  The show is so amazing, fantastic, phenomenal, etc.  I just simply love it.

The opening act is quite boring as the scene is about the auction.  Then it's beginning to get exciting.  With the opera singer singing her lungs out.  It was my first time actually to hear an opera singer performing live. Now, I realized that a play can be really quite moving.

The scene that I really love the most (which is very moving) is when the Phantom brought Christine to his place, at the tunnel.  It seems so surreal!  The boat floats and the effect of the candles as background and foreground is so amazing.

The performers are so great - from the musician, composer to the singers and ballet dancers.  I can really talk about it over and over again. 

the gang
Here are still some of my observations during the gala night:
1. As mentioned above, this is the best time to show-off your best dress, jewelries and accessories.
2. A lot of prominent people inside and outside politics and show business are in the event.

with the famous Ms. Tessa Prieto
3. These people are also like us ordinary humans - they are photo whores and enjoy having pictures with some celebrities.
4. Cameras are not allowed inside the theater but mobile phones are.  Some people still take some shots.  This is a NO-NO guys!  You have to respect the show and the people behind this production.  A BIG NO TO PIRACY!
5. There is free pica-pica food and wine before the show starts and during intermission.  You just have to be early in the venue.   Just eat with finesse.
6. At the end of the show, you can still stay a bit longer to rub elbows with the elites and stars.

luv this shot...

I'm still in awe till now and I guess I will have a new expensive hobby.  Next on my list is to seek and purchase a nice dress for this kind of event. 

my mark on the famous wall



No comments:

Post a Comment