Friday, March 31, 2017

Tacloban After More Than a Decade

happened on January 2017


Yes, I'm still alive but so busy with other stuff and lazy to document all my past travels.  Just looking at all the pictures that I need to organize..... I just succumb to deep slumber everytime ^-^

Yes! I indeed returned.

Anyways, I scored a super cheap airfare tickets for two via Air Asia (only Php950.00 without check-in baggage) to Tacloban early last year.  I'm so excited to return after almost sixteen (16) years.  I've been meaning to visit it again after Typhoon Yolanda to check how different it is. I also took my hubby with me so he can have a glimpse of this special place.

Tacloban will always have a special place in my heart since this is the first regional assignment that I had with an almost 2 month-stay.  I met a lot of new friends and experienced seeing most of Samar and Leyte provinces.  

Here is a summary of our 4 days visit:

Hotel

We stayed in Go Hotel due to its super affordable accommodation.  It's a little bit far from the town proper but can easily be accessed via public transportation.  It's beside Robinson's Place so it's still convenient.  I was able to book for Php2,300.00 for 3 nights already.  You just have to wait for a promo and book early.

It's the only Go Hotel that has this indoor garden set-up so it's kinda refreshing especially during the hot weather condition. However, it's also disappointing that the room we stayed in is not well kept and thoroughly cleaned.  The towels provided also looked dirty.

the indoor garden





Day 2

We woke up early and heard the mass in Palo Cathedral.  I've been here before but can't remember its interiors already.  I'm glad to see that it's still standing and unaffected by the typhoon.  It was newly renovated.





After the mass, we headed to McArthur Park for the iconic landmark of McArthur returning in Leyte.


We returned to the town proper to eat in Guiseppe's Italian Restaurant.  I tell you it's must that you dine here.  It's a little bit pricey by still cheaper compared to Manila's but the food is really delectable.  They have the best pizza (for me).  I'm craving for it now.





Day 3

Since we didn't have much on our itinerary, I decided to have a day tour in Basey, Samar.  This is both our first time to visit this place. We had breakfast first in Chew Love.  It is a very dainty restaurant that serves very affordable dishes.  You'll surely love its country look interiors.






Going to Basey:  (1) ride a tricycle going to the terminal; (2) ride a jeepney for Basey. Travel time is less than 1 hour for Php35.00 per person (one way).  We were dropped off near the church.

loving its charm


After the church, we checked their native products.  Since it's just a tiny place, a hald day tour is enough to see most of it.


they have nice products

Before heading home, we embarked at the foot of San Juanico Bridge.  This is a famous long bridge connecting provinces of Samar and Leyte.


It's an S shaped bridge, would be nicer to walk till the other side
Dinner is in Sunzibar.  It is quaint but jampacked restaurant serving Tex-Mex food.  Their servings are big and enough for 2-3 persons and with very affordable prices.  




We ended our last day in Jose Karlo Cafe.  I love the ambiance here, however, the food is unremarkable.







Day 4

We visited Sto. Nino Shrine before returning home to Manila.  It is still under renovation as it was affected by the typhoon.  Fortunately, there's not much damage done.

Here, you will have a glimpse of the extravagant life the Marcoses had.  If all of its contents will be sold, a big chunk of our debts will be paid, that is, if it will not be corrupted.




It truly is nice to be back. ^-^










2 comments:

  1. Hi.. Thanks for this post on Tacloban.. I went there on the one year anniversary of Hurricane Yolanda. I really felt for all the Filipinos that suffered through this. I even wrote a post about it. http://travelwithoutamap.com/typhoon-yolanda-foreigners-perspective-gift-of-giving/ Let me know what you think.. You can email me at travelwithoutamap@yahoo.com if you like. Maybe we could trade links on our blog, or just chat. Anyways, Salamat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for dropping by. Tacloban always has a spot in my heart. I'll check your site and let's see what can be done...

    ReplyDelete