Monday, January 30, 2017

2016| What a Year!


"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not in fighting the old, but in building the new" - Socrates


when everything else fails, faith and hope remain

I'm really so grateful that 2016 is finally over.  It had been a roller coaster ride for me.  There are lots of changes, goodbyes and new beginnings.  Still, I'm very grateful for what is has brought and taught me.  It made me realized how strong and adaptable a person could be amidst the constant change.  

Finally, the long anticipation has finally happened.  After 21 wonderful years, I bid goodbye to my second home and family - Bayan.  We knew for many years that it will happen but when it's really happening, we were all in disbelief.  It seems everything happens so fast and beyond our control.  We can only look back at the fun memories and hope for a better future in a new environment.  Though I'm beginning to rebuild a new career and friendships, I will always look back with a smile and gratefulness of the wonderful 21 years of my life in Bayan.  

In the middle of the chaos and succession of redundancy in the office, my wandering feet were not moved (by this).  Instead, I chose to wander more. I took almost all of the opportunities to get away from it.  I have maxed all my leaves and spent more, just to escape from reality.  Good thing that hubby has been understanding and very supportive while I'm lost somewhere.

Here's a recap of the "wander"ful year that was:

February

1.  Davao

After  almost eight years, I'm back in one of my favorite places in PI and with hubby this time.  A part of my heart has been left in this charming city.  The people are kind, food is delicious and nature is still at its best form.  We have limited time so we opted to spend most of it in Pearl Farm.  It's a luxurious resort way back in the 90s.  Now, it has been affordable for the Middle Class like us.  I instantly fell in love with Malipano Islet.  I enjoyed the solitude and serenity.




small yet stunning island
We also didn't miss seeing the Philippine Eagle in Malagos.  We should establish more rescue and breeding centers like this for other animals, to avoid extinction and spread more awareness.


our pride

2. Bayview Hotel (for Madonna's concert)

We are booked months in advance for this once in a lifetime concert.  We also booked in this hotel so we will be near the venue and have bonding after.  The concert is so surreal and we were in cloud till the morning.



March

3. Siem Reap, Cambodia

An opportunity came when B's sister A went for work in Cambodia.  We wasted no time in booking and visiting her (while she's there).  We started in SR first, then Phnom Penh and exited in Ho Chi Minh.  It was a 10 day fun filled and non stop adventure trip.

I was so "in awe" with the gigantic temples and shrines.  The details are simply amazing.  Such dedication and faith these people have!  Even it was scorching hot, the weather didn't deter me in spending time looking at every detail of the art works.

Bayon Temple


the lying Buddha in Kooulen mountain


sunrise in Angkor Wat

in Pre Rup temple

I'm at the top of the world... este Pre Rup
4. Phonm Penh, Cambodia

We only have limited time seeing the main city since A treated us in Bhokor mountain.  It has a nice weather and you can literally touch the cloud.  We've seen a lot of the ruins of the French era here.  The old hotel was restored and the church was preserved.
We saw their unique plant that resembles the male organ.  It was unbelievable.  How majestic God's creations are.
This is definitely a trip that I'll forever remember.
at the old Palace in Bhokor

their Tuktuk version

sunset in Royal Palace

the old French hotel ruins

an old temple

one of a kind plant
What has happened it this place is umimaginable.  This is a reminder on how evil a man can be.  I think it's unfair that the people didn't get the justice they deserved.  Pot pot was only put into exhile.  He even enjoyed his last remaining days with his family while most of the victims have no family left.  This event has marked a deep wound to the Cambodians.
seems so peaceful but with a gruesome history

5. Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
We spent our last 2 days in HCM.  We ate their famous Pho.  The taste is really different from what is being offered in our country.  This is by far delicious and filling.
I love seeing Notre Dame and some of their historical buildings.

tasting the authentic Pho

fell in love with Notre Dame of HCM

historical post office

the interiors

cyclo - their local ride
Cuchi tunnel shows how genius Vietnamese can be.  They defeated the Americans through their ingenuity and creativity.

at the Cuchi tunnel


fit for an Asian frame
They may have different belief from ours, but it was such an experience witnessing their rites.  I can clearly remember how peaceful they look.

how colorful interiors



April

6. Pico de Loro

My two week break from work was spent with my family.  We went to Pico de Loro for our weekend getaway.  It's a membership resort but also available for outsiders.  I found the entrance fee too expensive.  The pool is huge and with clean beach.  But, it has a black sand so I'm not a fan of it.  Good thing, our accommodation is quite affordable since we just rented 2 units and cooked our own meals.

huge pool

the residences

the beach.. it's gray sand

sunset in Pico de Loro

May

7. Wilson's Place, Tagaytay

It was a last minute decision for us to continue the tradition of having a summer getaway yearly, thus, Windangan ended up here in Tagaytay since most of the resorts and beach houses were already fully booked.  We love that we almost own the place as it can only accommodate around 50 persons and we have occupied most od their rooms.  The food they served were great, too and comes with impeccable service.






8.  The Greenery, Bulacan

My ever first summer team building in my new company happened here.  It's just near Manila but the traffic going there is terrible.  I love how isolated it is.  The lake is an instant refresher.  The food they serve is great, too.





June

9. Boracay

I'm glad to be back after 8 long years.  We enjoyed different activities this time - paddling, ATV and stepping in Shangri-la for Father's Day celebration.  I'm sad that it is more crowded now but glad to see other unexploited places.  Puka beach is now more accessible.  8 years can bring a lot of changes in a place.  But no matter how crowded and commercialized it is, I can always find my little corner here.  It is still one of my favorite beaches.

the famous sand castle


Shangri-La's overlooking side

fiery sky

10. Kalibo

We have a day tour prior our departure in Kalibo mangrove forest.  It's a 3 Km walk while seeing greenery.  Hats off to the locals for developing this forest.  It's high time that we take care of our Mother Earth.



August

11.  Malapascua, Cebu

It's a long land travel from the city but so worth it.  We stayed in Thresher Cove.  It's isolated and with great view of the ocean.  We just enjoyed playing Jenga and island hopping here.






12. Kalanggaman Island

TG! the trip pushed through despite the bad weather.  We didn't stay long but still enjoyed this beautiful and unexploited island.  I want to return during a good weather condition.





September

13. Pampanga Food Trip

Pampanga proves that it is still the food capital of the Philippines with many old time favorites and uprising restaurants.  It is truly is a gastronomic delight!

started the food trip here with pancit luglug and dinuguan

had a side trip in clear water resort



oldest church in Angeles

Angeles Museum

ended the food trip here with kare kare and rellenong bangus
14. Crosswind, Tagaytay

We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in this Swiss inspired village.  The weather is so nice at that time.  We love the smell of the pine trees and how picturesque it is.





October

15. Widus, Angeles

The Windangan Group got bored again and it's a long weekend so we decided to checked-in this hotel.  The pool is impressive though the over all hotel amenities and facilities are not.  I think that it is overated.





my pretty girls
November

16. Hanoi, Vietnam

My bes and I's last hooray for this year!  We scored some promo tickets so we pushed through with this travel.  I love Hanoi more than HCM since it has a lot to offer in terms of natural wonders.  I also like that the people are friendlier and more accommodating.  I'm also grateful to her godchild for accommodating us in her home.  We had fun shopping, eating and touring around.

the Sword Lake with the bridge


the famous fighting cocks rocks

touring the Halong Bay on land, love our lady  paddler

one of the underground caves


had fun cycling with a beautiful view

Uncle Ho Chi Minh final rest

St. Joseph Cathedral


December

17. Sip and Gogh

For our group in the office, we all agreed to spend our mini party here in Sip and Gogh.  I think the payment is worth it for the appetizer, wine and experience.  It's true, that everybody has an artistic side.  We discovered it here.  Best part, we even took home our paintings.  Who wanted to keep them anyway?? hehehehhe




hoping to copy it

the fishes look like tadpoles hehehhe

18. Fraser Place Manila, Makati

My sister who was supposed to come home for the Christmas season has booked this hotel for the New Year celebration.  We ended using it and celebrating the new year without her.  
I was surprised on how the spacious the unit and bedrooms are.  It has complete kitchen facilities.  In addition, it also strategically located; just walking distance from Ayala Triangle and even to the Makati commercial side.  The pool needs some upgrade though.
For the first time, we watched the dancing lights.  We also visited BGC.  The kids had fun.  They love to live in Makati.  I hope we can!

the lobby

the small pool
the Master's bedroom


the dining area for 6

I will definitely slow down in traveling this year since I still have to focus on the new job but I'll made sure that it will still be a wonderful year. ^-^

Thank you 2016... I'm claiming that 2017 will be great!  



No comments:

Post a Comment